Goethe wrote:

> Solutions proposed:
>   1. judicially declare all actions performed by "annabel" to be
> (retroactively) ineffective because, in retrospect, the messages didn't
> constitute clear communication as to whom they applied to (I still think
> this would have and did work, hence no crisis, but this was a minority
> view).

I don't remember this being brought up.  It would have required
recalculating the gamestate to account for the removal of Annabel's
purported actions, except that #3 later patched over it.

>   2. have everyone deregister except 1 person whom we were sure was still
> a player and had been a player throughout the whole time.  That person would
> become the holder of every office and proposals would have a quorum of 1.
> We would then be sure whom the holder of every office was.  E could then
> ratify by proposal the recent rulesets and officer reports and everyone could
> re-register going on as before.  (I think this fix wouldn't work/is broken
> now,
> when offices can be vacant and the speaker is no longer the default
> officeholder?) Anyway, we never did this, maybe because we never convinced
> everyone to deregister en masse.

A similar solution was applied rigorously back around 1997.  A proposal
revamping the economy was purportedly adopted, then months later was
discovered to have failed.  Zefram worked out about a dozen potential
values of the gamestate just for who held which offices, depending on
interpretation (the "Quantum Crisis"), then we all agreed to patch it
as follows:

  a) All but one player announced "If I am Promotor, then I resign,
     naming <the one player> as my successor".  This collapsed the
     quantum states for that portion of the gamestate.

  b) The holder of Assessor was similarly collapsed.

  c) A fix proposal was adopted, effectively ratifying the adoption
     of the original economic revamp proposal.

>   3. pass a proposal ratifying the gamestate without #2 first.  I think we
> did this, but I think several people always thought this didn't solve the
> problem (and we still haven't solved the problem) because we didn't do #2
> first.

We did (that was one of my proposals); it basically ratified the legal
fiction that actions performed via Maud's and Annabel's e-mail addresses
during the time in question were performed by separate persons.