BobTHJ wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Kerim Aydin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> This is absurd.  You've set up an impossible condition if no one's buying.
>> I state that the fact of no one being willing to buy even the cheapest
>> of votes is a state not envisioned by the contract, and therefore should
>> get anyone off the hook who makes a good faith effort to sell.
>>
> Actually, there has been more Vote Market activity in the past month
> then in the six months previously. There have certainly been
> opportunities to gain VP, and there presently exist at least 10 open
> tickets. Just not much of it has been for the buying or selling of
> votes.

Speaking personally, the more effort it takes, the less often anyone
will bother.  I suggest amending the Vote Market so that, instead of
a three-step specific process:

  Alice> I offer to sell my vote on 6000 for 1 VP
    Bob> I vote FOR 6000; I accept Alice's offer, please vote FOR
  Alice> I vote FOR 6000

votes can be sold in a two-step general process:

  Alice> I sell my vote on 6000 for 1 VP
    Bob> I vote FOR 6000; I spend up to 5 VP to buy votes

via clauses something like these:

  "I sell my vote on <Agoran decision> for <price>" is equivalent to
  conditionally voting "endorsing the person (if any) who buys my vote;
  if they are not an eligible voter, then as they direct; if there is
  no such person, then no vote".

  "I spend up to <price> to buy votes" is equivalent to buying whatever
  votes are for sale, cheapest first, ties broken in favor of those that
  went on sale first, up to a maximum total expenditure of <price>; vote
  purchases are processed in the order they are made.