On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 11:48 -0800, Kerim Aydin wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Alex Smith wrote:
> > Also, I don't think clamping down on working scams is in the best
> > interests of the game. 
> 
> IMO, the best interests of the game in a scam are, when all else
> is balanced, whether admitting the loophole will cause far more 
> outstanding procedural problems (e.g. recalculating gamestate by 
> redefining some deeply-embedded term) than denying it, or whether 
> it would lead to dangerously absurd results in the future exegesis 
> of the Rules (e.g. redefinition of "minor" punishment as "exiled 
> for 100 years").  
> 
> The granting of a dictatorship, on its own, does not a priori
> stand against the interests of the game, nor should it.  Sometimes 
> denying the loophole would do more damage in those terms than 
> admitting a resulting dictatorship.  There's at least one scam
> in the past that I argued against, and won the argument, and 
> now regret doing so in the interests of the game.
> 
> It *is*, however, in the best interests of the game to argue 
> vociferously about the loophole prior to the decision being 
> made :).
I think I'll agree with you on everything you've said here.
(Incidentally, I'm curious as to what the scam you argued against was.)

-- 
ais523

Reply via email to