On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Ed Murphy wrote:
> ============================  Appeal 2424b  ============================
>  ais523> In the situation "I award <points> to <player>", the method
>          matters because different limits are used up.
>
>  others> That only covers situations that have substantively different
>          side effects based on the method.  The situation actually at
>          hand does not.  Things break badly if one interprets such
>          situations as requiring specification anyway.
>
>   ehird> Preciseness is important.

It occurs to me for the first time in this case that there's actually
only *one* method, "by announcement", and that two different rules happen
to agree on conditions where that mechanism can be used.  If the conditions
in the two rules are substantially different, you just have the case of
"by announcement CAN be used if (Rule A OR Rule B conditions) = TRUE",
and (A OR B) is obviously true if (A AND B) is true, so it's meaningless or
unnecessary to specify "which one of" (A OR B) are true when (A AND B) is
true.

Has anyone said that yet?

-Goethe