On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 1:31 AM, Paul VanKoughnett <allisp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Kerim Aydin <ke...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 3 Jun 2009, Kerim Aydin wrote:
>> > I think that's in the FAQ, although maybe that's just about R104.
>> > Original ruleset defined games as ending and beginning the next one
>> > when someone won, and someone indeed did in the first year or so.
>>
>> On a related note, here's a question:  how many here have played an actual
>> face-to-face Nomic round (i.e. Suber ruleset) as a "board game" (e.g.
>> sat down with 4+ people at a table with the meta-understanding that
>> you were all trying to win before the evening ended and winning would
>> generally end the game)?
>>
>> Haven't done so in a long time; It's a really, really different
>> experience than this; different game entirely, highly recommended, I
>> think I often have those sorts of games in the back of my mind and it
>> affects my play style.
>>
>> -G.
>>

> I have; it was the first game of Nomic I played.  I read Hofstadter's
> article years ago, but could never find anyone in high school to play with.
> I found people in college, though, and we tried it around a table.  The
> biggest problems were keeping control (so it doesn't break up into the loud
> disputes our CFJs usually ended up as) and making sure everyone's
> comfortable with the current rules, scores, etc.  We never finished the
> game, but we started another one via mailing list, which is still getting
> off the ground and which may open its doors with a webpage and stuff as soon
> as it's ready.

My first nomic experience was with a game called 'Dots', initially
similar to the game where you make a grid of dots and try to make
squares, but in this game any polygon was legal and the dots were not
evenly placed.  6 teams of people each have a color, and have a
territory.  Each dot had a point value, originally 1, but the value
change to 1-N (where N was the number of lines coming off of that dot)
after each 'round'.  A round wad an arbitrary period of time and ended
whenever the G.O.D. (Game Overall Director) said it ended.

We had a judicial branch for CFJ like actions, a group of rule writers, etc.

The first thing that happens is people write rules, and once someone
breaks them, because no one wrote rules indicating what would happen
if rules were broken, all hell breaks loose and there is anarchy.

Its a very interesting game.