On 08/16/2010 04:28 PM, Kerim Aydin wrote:
3.  Moved the office-tracking to the granulator (associated with
     Leadership, I suppose, and I'm willing to get it started).
I think this belongs to the Herald and, honestly, Herald is currently in track-the-random-bits-of-the-gamestate-no-one-else-does mode, so making it a more active office would probably be good.

         Any attempt to move the Speaker on the list fails, as e is not
         on the list.
Might as well say any player not on the list, given the next paragraph.

         Whenever a player other than the Speaker is not on the list, or
         eir position on the list is found by judicial declaration to be
         UNDETERMINED or UNDECIDABLE, e is added to the list below the
         lowest player whose position on the list is known.
Judicial declarations need not reference specific judgments, it would probably be clearer by saying 'unknown or ambiguous' or something similar.

Increase the power of Rule 402 (Identity of the Speaker) to 2.
Amend Rule 402 (Identity of the Speaker) to read:

         A Coronation (crowning) is initiated by announcing that a player
         other than the Speaker is crowned as Speaker, provided the rules
         explicitly permit the announcing player (the crowner) to crown
         another player (the Speaker-to-be).
Initiating something instantaneous is a bit weird.

         Destiny is a player switch tracked by the Granulator with values
         Unmarked (default) and Marked.  When a player wins the game,
         e becomes Marked.  If no player has been crowned in the previous
         14 days, than any player CAN crown any single specified Marked
         player.  When a player is crowned, e becomes Unmarked.

[When multiple players win, they can cycle through speakership at
7-day intervals with order of winning not mattering]
7 or 14? I like that there may be a ratrace to crown other people so as to get the Speakership when the dust settles. Also, Fated or Unfated?

       If e has not already done so this month, or if e hasn't done
       so since e gained office, the Speaker CAN Bestow Favors, by
       announcement.  An announcement Bestowing Favors is a list of
       other Players, one (different) name per Courtier position.
       The bestowing of favors has the effect of moving each named
       player to the indicated courtier position on the List of
       Succession.
If ever the Court becomes defined so that it is not the consecutive top N positions, then exactly how to move everyone simultaneously might be ambiguous. I haven't looked through it.

       A rule with a power equal to or greater than this rule may
       associate a Position Name with numbered position on the List of
Numbered seems bad here.

       Additionally, a rule with a power equal to or greater than this
       rule may associate an integer Influence Level with a specific
       numbered position on the List of Succession.
Numbered seems even worse here

       The following positions on the List of Succession are named, and
       have inidicated Influence Levels.  All other positions on the
       list have an Influence Level of 2.
This isn't a numbered position!

       First Position: Justiciar.
       Influence Level: 10
       Position: The Justiciar is granted particular abilities or
       privileges associated with the judicial process as described
       elsewhere in the Rules.
Why does the Justiciar get such high votes? Right now, I think it's pretty clear that the Chief Whip is the most coveted position, so perhaps there should be an equivalent Courtier with a really high voting limit and no other powers.

       Second Position: Grand Vizier
       Influence Level: 7
       Position: The Minister without Portfolio CAN, With Notice,
       perform any action that an officer both CAN and MAY (or SHALL)
       perform by virtue of holding that office.
This should totally be the guy who gets to start coups. Also, MwoP is still there.

       Fourth Position: Head Gardener.
       Influence Level: 5
       Position: the Head Gardener CAN rubberstamp a specified
       decision by announcement.
I want to be the Head Gardener. Also, this made me think that the position of the guy with lots of votes should be the First Minister, in honor of two of Asimov's best characters.

       Nth Position, where N is the last position on the list:
       Privateer.
       Influence Level: 7
       Position:  The Privateer CAN begin a coup by
       announcing the ceremonial shelling of the palace, provding
       no coup has been resolved in the last 14 days.  The effects
       of the coup (if any) are as described elsewhere in the
       rules.

First, I don't think this should be last; this means a former Speaker
is automatically the Privateer. Second, I don't like way of defining
it - second-from-last position should do, or at least N, where N is
the number of positions on the list.

Amend Rule 2284 (Fee-based actions) by appending the following:
       - A player CAN move an indicated player an indicated number
         of positions P on the list in an indicated direction (up
         or down) for a charge equal to the sum of the Influence
         Levels of the positions over which that player would jump,
         as totaled prior to the jump.  If the indicated player is
         unable to be so moved due to eir position on the list, but
         can be moved at least one position in the indicated
         direction, e is moved the maximum amount possible and charged
         the appropriate partial fee.  If this final fee CANNOT be
         paid in full, the entire action fails.
waitwhat? This does nicely solve the rapid Court manipulation problem, I think. I would give you a prop for this idea, but I'd end up taking it
from you for suggesting the current system, so it's a wash.

[Voting Power revamp to make the whole list worthwhile.  Note that
Prop 6759 tried to do this and failed due to power]
<3

Amend Rule 2279 by replacing the first bullet with:
            (1) Take the Influence Level associated with the player's
                position on the list of succession, or 3 if the player
                is the Speaker.
Given the high number of votes in the Court, maybe the Speaker should get a little bit more?

       become marked.  The Granulator SHOULD in marking all such
       winners of whom e is aware.

"SHOULD in"?

-coppro