On 17 January 2012 23:39, Pavitra <celestialcognit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/17/2012 05:03 AM, Arkady English wrote:
>>>
>>> The reason there's an upper limit is that someone once submitted a
>>> proposal with an adoption index hundreds of digits long. The only
>>> reasonable solution, I think, is to limit adoption indices to exactly
>>> 35.
>>>
>>> —Machiavelli
>>
>> Shouldn't adoption indices be capped to the maximum number of votes
>> which may be cast on that proposal.
>>
>> So, if there are N players, each with 1 vote to cast on a proposal
>> submitted, any adoption index greater or equal to N would require
>> unanimity to pass (because if 1 player votes against it there are only
>> (N-1) players to vote in favour, so it will never meet the adoption
>>
>> This becomes a problem if the number of votes available to cast does
>> not remain constant through the voting period - although that could be
>> fixed by allowing adoption indices to be a linear function of
>> MaxVotes, and setting any adoption index greater MaxVotes to
>> MaxVotes.
>>
>> Arkady
>
> Adoption indices are tied to fractions. A proposal with an adoption
> index of N requires an N/(N+1) majority to pass. The total number of
> voters is irrelevant.

On the contrary.

When I wrote, my understanding of the adoption index was that it
worked as follows:

A proposal passes if:

Vf/Va > A, where Vf and Va are the number of votes for and against and
A is the Adoption Index.

If that is true, what I've written is true.

But, you say, the condition is actually:

Vf/(Vf+Va) > A/(A+1).

However, these two conditions are identical. If we take the second
condition and multiply each side by (Vf+Va)(A+1) the adoption
condition becomes:

Vf(A+1) > A(Vf+Va).

Multiply out brackets:

VfA + Vf > VfA + VaA.

Subtract VfA from each side:

Vf > VaA

And finally divide by Va:

Vf/Va > A.

And the thing here is that total votes DO matter. There are Tv = Vf+Va
voters, so if 1 person votes against (i.e. Va = 1) the highest
possible adoption index that could be reached is (T-1). Thus by
setting the adoption index greater than (T-1) a proposal can only pass
unanimously (even if T is unknown).