On Sun, 5 Aug 2012, Ed Murphy wrote:
> I do think that this makes it too easy to set up infinite chains and
> get turtles out of them (e.g. by fudging someone's posture, which has
> no LFD-style escape clause), but that probably needs to be fixed via
> legislation at this point.

I think in this case the best fix is in the mechanism; to forbid a promise-
begun chain to call a promise previously called in the chain (i.e. the
first attempt at a loop fails).  Although I suppose this could be defeated
by promises that create new promises.

I don't think there's other mechanisms that allow looping in the rules
currently, and it was a limit that was debated back when promises were
enacted.

Another protection could be in the generic Switches definition; if a
switch's state cannot be determined with reasonable effort, it is in
the default state.  Though this has a disadvantage of allowing players
to switch back to default by making an infinite chain, when otherwise
they wouldn't be permitted to.

-G.