On Wednesday, June 26, 2013, Fool wrote:

> Goethe's arguments:
>
>> Was thinking about this, it's interesting that this win attempt goes
>> along with our earlier discussion on legal versus mathematical.  In a
>> mathematical sense, one could say that it was "equally likely or
>> unlikely" that omd sent the message based applying the principle of
>> indifference to omd's claim.  But in a legal sense, one must establish
>> where the burden of proof lies.  So far, the default assumption has
>> been "assume each new email address is from a different person".  Omd
>> questions the default assumption, but with testimony that does not
>> sufficiently establish a preponderance of evidence.  Therefore, stick
>> with the default assumption (that the message came from someone other
>> than omd).
>>

> Clearly the presumption is of course that the Undead is not a Voter.

Although there are no appeals,  I do strenuously object to this judgement.
 The default assumption is the default because it is usually accurate.  Unless
you believe that my brother and I are not in control of the theagoranundead
Gmail account, something which I could verify if necessary but which I
thought would be fairly obvious, you should agree that it is clear (>95%
chance, since we're talking Bayesian) I made a random-ish
mental determination of whether to send the message myself or ask my
brother to do it.  Although the chance of each option was probably not
exactly 50%, as it depended on my mental state, the availability of my
brother, etc., and I admit I did not actually flip a coin, still you should
agree that there is a substantial chance of each option which, based on the
information you have, is not more than 10 or 20 percent away from 50%.
 Therefore, from a Bayesian perspective, there is not enough information
for you to establish a reasonably high likelihood of either option.

>From a legal perspective - well, that's different, but although it is
within reason that a court could distort a determination of the truth (who
sent the message) into a hard rule to be applied in lieu of absolute proof
to the contrary, designed to prioritize having some answer over
correctness, I question whether we should do so (or have done so) in Agora.
 I suppose we do make such assumptions about mail sent from a particular
email address, but that's a much narrower case and involves the definition
of the sender of a message, and hasn't been tested in any case.