On Tue, 2 Jul 2013, Charles Walker wrote:
> If an officer is required to perform a specific action (e.g. award N
> Yaks to Walker) and the office changes hands, does that specific
> requirement go along with it? Or is the new officer NOT GUILTY if e
> fails to award me those particular Yaks? What if the office changes
> hands one day before the end of the time limit? What about a month?

Without looking, my hazy grasp of the precedents is:

1.  Whoever holds the office when the time limit hits is the guilty party.

2.  If someone takes over the office just before a time limit hits, e
and doesn't do it, e has still broken the rule.  But e  may escape guilt if
e has not had a reasonable time to get caught up (under the "knowledge"
clause, or possibly guilty/discharge).  Especially if e might not even
learn e was elected until after the time limit passes.

The complicated one:

3.  Person A holds an office.  Time limit expires.  Person A has committed
the crime.  If Person B takes over the office (before the duty is done), e
is now under a SHALL (do the duty) but with no specific time limit, so can't
be punished for not doing it.  (If e refuses to do it, it's still a
SHALL, so someone can deputize to get it done).

-G.