I know some of you here advocate a less logicist and more legalist approach, and I guess this is the bit where you "watch the logicians sweat" as Peter Suber would have it. Well, the paradox I present to you is: how should a legalist rule in a game which has a tradition of "absurd literalism"?

In most other contexts, the sort of reasoning I'm using would just be dismissed, but is it actually _fair_ to do so in Agora? You might wish that we were less logicist, and might well support a proposal to explicitly make it so. And indeed, there were a few suggestions along these lines during the long paradox discussion about a month and a half ago. It is plausible that this stunt will catalyse support for such things. But, as of now, none of these have been enacted (or even formally proposed, AFAIK). An abrupt change to the "common law" without explicit statute would generally speaking be unfair, that is precisely what precedent is all about.

And the precedent clearly has granted all sorts of "wins by paradox" to various liar-paradox-type constructions. So this stunt ought to fly as well. (In fact this is more creative, if I do say so myself. Someone owes me something very shiny.)

Now it might be objected that I am one to talk about fairness, when I hardly have "clean hands". Historical wins by paradox were basically cosmetic, not disrupting anything. Whereas I, after all, am claiming Agora for my cat! Perhaps that justifies a certain amount of "unfairness" in turn.

Taking over is a rarer but still perfectly traditional way to win. As I recently learned, it actually pre-dates Agora and goes back to Nomic World (Lindstrom's dictatorship). So I don't think the fact that my attempt to win is by takeover really does justify anything. (But of course I'd say that...)