On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 6:21 PM, Alex Smith <ais...@bham.ac.uk> wrote:
> Except it isn't set up as a vote. For instance, things like withdrawing
> objections are possible

You can withdraw votes too.  Remember when dependent actions used to
be Agoran decisions?  It matched up decently well except for the
boilerplate.

I agree with the notion that the rule clearly allows someone to both
support and object (btw, I don't think this was ever amended away).  I
don't find this entirely nonsensical, as we regularly allow voting
both FOR and AGAINST on other decisions, though the mechanism is
somewhat different.  But even if it were nonsensical, I draw a
distinction between the rules being specific and vague.  In this case,
the mechanism is clearly written as if in a computer program, so even
if some nonsensical concepts fall out, the text of the rules takes
precedence.  But that doesn't mean that I can't handle the mechanism
not being clearly written out, or that if it weren't I would choose
the most vexing interpretation of every phrase to try to get an
advantage (well, I might try on occasion, but I wouldn't be surprised
to be shot down), so I'm often in favor of simplification.

Also, I think that in some sense, we already have a way to bury
legalese in a separate document: judgements themselves.  This has pros
and cons compared to actual binding text - judgements can get stale
relatively easily, are harder to search, and have a habit of becoming
contradictory, but don't need to be explicitly updated when the
precise mechanisms in the rules change - but I think the CFJ system in
general has been neglected of late.