On Oct 11, 2016, at 11:40 PM, ais523 <callforjudgem...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I'd known about Nomic for ages (from an article by IIRC Douglas
> Hofstatder that quoted Suber's original definition of Nomic), and
> thought it might be interesting to see what one is like.
> Then I stayed because while a nomic is active, it gives interesting
> insights into economics, politics and law. In particular, I suspect a
> sufficiently large nomic would be a safe sandbox in which to try
> certain economic experiments without having to destroy the real-world
> economy.
> When Agora's quiet, I stay simply because it doesn't take up much of my
> time. Right now I'm in reaction mode; I don't really initiate anything
> but I respond to things that request my input, or that I think would
> benefit from it. (For example, when I'm assigned to judge a CFJ, I do
> that.)

Much like ais523, I’ve known about nomic for ages, and it’s always pulled at
the back of my mind as “hey, that sounds like a neat idea, what’s it like in
practice?” I missed out on most forms of amateur governance when I was younger,
by virtue of stumbling into a career (and thus into the pyramidal authority
structure of a professional life) early on, and so I missed out on debate,
student council and student unions, and so on. Nomic has always seemed like a
good way to catch up on the skills of governance: building consensus,
negotiating the rules in place and finding ways to turn them to a purpose, and
so on.

I also tend to agree with ais’ suspicions about Nomic as a sandbox for
rule-described “real world” projects.

I still feel like my grip on the game is fairly loose, so I’m playing very
cautiously. I very much appreciate that Agora has no “end” baked into it - I
think Suber’s original ruleset embeds assumptions about games that were
appropriate in the 80s, before the modern indie game scene started exploring
goals besides “winning” for game play. I play to learn, and therefore prefer
that the game continue more or less indefinitely so that I have time to not
only learn from my mistakes, but to correct them - or to see how others correct
them, or exploit them, or build on them.