On Thu, 2016-10-20 at 23:46 -0700, Aris Merchant wrote:
> And why would anyone vote for this? What's the loophole you're using? I
> assume we have to wait and see, but unless you have a loophole... Stoping
> this from working may require CFJs, but the damage can be minimized even if
> it passes... Wait a sec. Have you thought this through? Because it looks
> like you may be able to jam up CFJs, and I'm not sure you intend your
> destruction to go that far. Then again, you could always not do it...
> (Sorry if that was badly phrased, it's late. I haven't thought through this
> that thoroughly, but  I'm assuming it would be better not to let this sit
> without saying something.)

This is almost certainly intended to be forced through via some method
that doesn't involve other players (or at least, Agora at large) voting
for it. People try it every now and then. The vast majority of attempts
to do this fail, although it has succeeded on occasion.

Because Alexis is aiming for a power-3 dictatorship rather than just a
win, it shows a fairly high level of confidence and/or risk-taking in
the scam, as other players will try harder to stop it. A good first
move in this situation might be to flip the spending power of all
offices Alexis holds (Referee, in this case) to 0, thus making the
proposal impossible to pend without outside help or taking on another
office; this sort of pre-emptive counterscam would probably be
unsporting if Alexis were merely aiming for a win, but taking extra
steps to complicate the situation is probably worth it against a
dictatorship.

FWIW, counterscamming and counter-counter-scamming are one of my
favourite parts of the game; you don't get the opportunity all that
often. (And generally, I value a good exchange of scams more than I
value winning.) Note that one fairly common move in a scam war that's
not necessarily that obvious is to bribe some of the counterscammers
(perhaps secretly) with some of the rewards of the scam (i.e. "if that
works, we split the profits"). Alexis' proposal is easily sufficiently
powerful to share the rewards with someone else, so this is a
possibility that anyone on the counterscam side will need to be aware
of (either by watching out for potential collusion, or via actively
trying to change sides).

--
ais523