On Mon, 2017-05-29 at 16:25 -0500, grok (caleb vines) wrote:
> I'm fairly certain my deregistration statement clearly outlines that the
> fruitless philosophical CFJ attempts in spite of obvious rules that answers
> them are my biggest gripe. I don't mind some philosophical discussion of
> the rules, but when the ruleset or prior CFJs obviously answer the question
> I get frustrated. It's not worth my time to run in circles over those
> discussions when they have answers already.

Given that both I and the judges are struggling to keep up with the CFJ
load recently, perhaps we should consider making calling a CFJ require
spending Shinies, just like pending a proposal does. I'm not sure if
we've experimented with limited CFJs before now. (I think there are a
ton of rules trying to prevent us doing just that, but we can always
change the rules if need be.)

That said, a large flux of repetitive CFJs that are already answered by
precedent tends to happen every time there's a surge in registrations,
as new players tend to be unfamiliar with arguments that the rest of us
have done to death already. (The new players occasionally find a
direction to look in that the existing players hadn't seen; quite a few
Wins by Paradox were created like that. So despite typically being
repetitive, the CFJs in question also sometimes create useful
gameplay.)

I think the lack of a useful economy (Shinies don't count, as there's
nothing to trade them for) is something that causes Agora to turn
overly philosophical, as there's often not much else to do. Creating an
economy is also hard, though, because typically most players won't
participate in it, and economies need participation to really function
correctly.

It's interesting to note that at times of lower activity, when there
isn't a functioning economy, players tend to make wild and drastic
changes to the rules in the hope that there'll be more to discuss. This
nearly always backfires and leaves the mailing lists dead for months at
a time.

--
ais523