On Sun, 2017-06-25 at 12:29 -0700, Publius Scribonius Scholasticus
wrote:
> I concur with ais523's thoughts, but would appreciate if e could
> describe the reasoning for his dislike of GitHub.

Part of it (some particularly objectionable terms in a much older
version of the Terms of Service) has since been fixed. (There's some
inclarity related to licensing that caused something of an uproar
recently and could really do with being less ambiguous / easily
misinterpreted, but that wouldn't be a problem from Agora's point of
view. Apart from that, their current Terms of Service are actually
really good, so I'm glad they've put effort into improving them.)

I still have a number of issues with Github outstanding, though. For
example, one bad sign is that their homepage is mostly a Sign Up page,
and it doesn't even have a box to retype the password to confirm it,
implying that they care more about gaining new users than anything
else. Likewise, many of the site's features are aimed at trying to
persuade people to use the site even when other methods would work
better. I also get the distinct impression (from their documentation
and released software tools) that Github doesn't actually understand
Git, which is problematic for a business primarily based around it.

Finally, the UI is really unintuitive, although I guess that tends to
become less of a problem over time. (For people wondering, I've been
forced to use Github for my job on occasion. I don't use it for my own
projects; some are in git repositories but I self-host them.)

--
ais523