On Thu, 2017-06-29 at 07:09 -0700, Kerim Aydin wrote:
> But I guess we don't extend that respect to Arabic (or in the past,
> Turkish). This result?  It decides to completely ignore the clear and
> simple known precepts of the Arabic language, and decide on some kind
> of byte order.  Why stop there??  Why not say "hey, all this English
> stuff?  It's just ASCII and we can't read numbers!"  No? I guess not.

Your message could have been written in such a way that it would be
unambiguously correct Arabic and incorrect English, but it wasn't.

The purpose of communication is to communicate. As a result, the
standards we use for communication in email are designed to allow
conversations to be communicated unambiguously, regardless of whether
they're written in Arabic or English. Such unambiguity is needed for
things like line wrapping algorithms to work correctly.

Compare:

> I call for judgement on the following statement : أدعو إلى إصدار حكم بشأن
> البيان التالي

> دعو إلى إصدار حكم بشأن البيان التالي : I call for judgement on the following
> statement

In my text editor, these two lines look identical, except that the
former is left-justified and the latter is right-justified. (Your email
client may vary; some email clients I'm aware of aren't capable of
processing bidirectional text correctly. See the attached pictures at
two different window widths.)

I've put a lot of effort into learning how computers support various
texts, whether it's the variable width of Japanese or the right-to-left
behaviour of Arabic. Communication is about saying what you mean; and
computers actually give you the tools to say what you mean. As such,
the intentionally ambiguous reading doesn't exist; there's one way to
write the text so that it's clearly an English sentence, and another to
write it so that it's clearly an Arabic sentence. Your message
contained the former, but it could easily have contained the latter,
and then it would have been interpreted as Arabic.

Saying "A byte stream containing Arabic text must be interpreted as
though it were laid out left to right" would be in its own right
disrespectful to the language, because that's not how Arabic is written
in practice. If you observed someone writing the sentence in question
in real life, you could determine whether it was written in English or
Arabic via whether it was written left to right or right to left. Now,
it turns out that that's an observable property over email too; and
that's as it should be. The alternative would be much worse.

--
ais523