Really the problem is that defining "pay" = "transfer" is a complete
redefinition of "pay" from common usage, and everyone's using common
usage... unfortunately that definition is in a high-powered rule.

BUT:

Does everyone accept that "pay without destination" automatically
mean "paying anyone" counts?  An alternate interpretation is that,
if the destination isn't defined, the rule is ambiguous and you
can't actually pay.  This would be supported by R2125:  "paying"
without a destination is not an unambiguous way of "explicitly
describing" a method for doing things.

(I'm not going to call the CFJ unless others think this interpretation
might work).