A way to stop the "overriding" may be to include "sender must be
clear" in the *definition* of by announcement rather than as an additional
property.  It's awkward to say "you did that by announcement, but it failed
for reason B" and better to be able to say "you didn't do it by announcement
because the announcement was ambiguous" (the same way you would do if
other parts of the announcement were unclear).  (I think doing so would
fix what you're seeing in R2141).