If we want to "fix" Arcadia, we need to figure out what the underlying issues are. So what /are/ the issues with these mechanics?

I did not take zombies into consideration when writing up the original PAoaM proposal. Zombies provided a cheap way to get double your monthly income when I wanted the only way to gain more income to be by interacting with the facilities mechanic. If zombies hadn't been a thing, maybe the monopolies wouldn't have been so simple to nail down.

It was unbalanced in ways that I couldn't have forseen. Upgrading Processing Facilities is something we're just getting into now, but it's an important thing. A rank 5 mine feeding 10 ore a week into a rank 5 refinery... that is 130 coins a week. Once someone goes a couple weeks with this setup, they might be impossible to defeat.

Players also stopped caring. Maybe if we had some of the early adopters of the Arcadia mechanics still playing, it would be easier to gang up on the monopolists, but many of them have simply stopped caring about these mechanics. It's gotten too dramatic.

I was not the best at being an effective Cartographor. I didn't do weekly land auctions half of the time. I could have done a lot more to ensure healthy development of the map.

PAoaM was a buggy mess that took months to fix. That really hindered people's enjoyment of it for ~3 months after it passed.

In my opinion, the Arcadia subgame has gotten progressively less fun due to a multitude of reasons. People keep on trying to patch it, but all those patches fall through and are either abandoned by their creator or they don't actually fix the underlying issues.

But, as G. says here, the underlying issues might not even the biggest problem. A lack of knowledge on how these mechanics will effect the game is. We. Don't. Playtest. And I don't know how keen others would be on trial and error to find a balanced set of mechanics. That sure sounds like a borefest to me.

If it's true that to get a perfect set of mechanics is just repeated tests, count me with the repeal-the-whole-dang-thing crowd. I think lots of us here would agree.

I know I said that I wanted to preserve the Arcadian mechanics as long as I could but I'm beginning to think that it really is time to get rid of these mechanics. Hopefully someone else can come up with a breakthrough.