On Fri, 13 Jul 2018, Reuben Staley wrote:
> While this does technically bring everyone closer to the same amount of
> money, I'm not sure this is the best way to do it. This also doesn't fix
> the gap in land ownership. I really think we need to do a map reset to
> achieve maximum equality.

So I've skimmed the proposals, and unless I missed it, these make no
changes to exploration or apples.  So I don't think a straight-up reset
is a good idea. Current land activity takes for granted that the
coin/corn bug opened up huge amounts of land, and even with the bug it
was against self-interest to do so.

Starting from scratch, the apple-cost of exploration is too high compared
to basic supply, and the benefits are limited - you can hope to win any
favorably-placed land you open up at auction, but that's far from
guaranteed.  And I don't think my minor fix in last week's proposals is
enough, if you're starting from scratch.

Once you get an orchard or two going, you're past the frustrating
budget-every-step stage and land exploration becomes something worth
considering (increasing the payday apple supply isn't a good idea either
because that devalues orchards).

So if you reset, I don't think it will work unless you (in the same
proposal) make something to allow people to claim a starting stake of ~3
contiguous land.  (Not automatic for all players, they should need to
put some effort in, but by a non-competitive distribution mechanism -
maybe even one that spreads starting stakes to different corners).
And also - exclude zombies, as starting from scratch, the zombie-owners
still will gain faster (both salary and movement bonuses).

But I'm speaking from a position of wealth, and putting such a proposal
together is another layer of complication. My plan is to see if the
above can be done privately.  I just won a bunch of land at auction, and
when I pay for it I'm planning a giveaway which would probably get at
least some of the folks who have bid and lost in the last month a better
stake (basic = functional from a basic production view).  If that doesn't
work, reset away, but include some kind of accelerated staking.