> On Nov 2, 2018, at 8:41 AM, D. Margaux <dmargaux...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 2, 2018, at 1:58 AM, Aris Merchant
>> <thoughtsoflifeandligh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I CFJ "Performing an action with N support is a dependent action".
>
> This is CFJ 3681.
>
>> I CFJ "Performing an action on behalf is always a dependent action".
>> These cases are linked. I hereby request expedited emergency
>> assignment for these CFJs.
>
> This is CFJ 3682.
>
> I assign them both to D. Margaux.

Below are proto judgements in 3681 and 3682.

***

In Agora, the phrase “dependent action” is a term of art that refers to the
methods specified in Rule 1728 (“Dependent Actions”). In ordinary English, that
phrase has a more generic sense of an action predicated upon some condition.

Although context will determine which meaning of “dependent action” applies in
any particular instance, the default presumption is that it is used as a term
of art.  Most often Agorans use the phrase in that specialized, term-of-art
sense. Indeed, it has taken a long time for this CFJ to arise precisely because
Agorans generally know that “dependent action” has a specialized meaning. It is
especially likely that the specialized meaning applies when an Agoran uses the
phrase “dependent action” in connection with certain other specified phrases in
Rule 1728 (such as “support” or “object”).

Conceivably, in some contexts, a player might use the phrase “dependent action”
in the more generic sense of any contingent action.  But that should not be the
default assumption, and game custom does not indicate that Agorans use the
phrase in that way unless there are context clues that make it clear that this
generic sense is meant.

Performing an action with N support is a dependent action, under both the
specialized and generic senses of that phrase. CFJ 3681 is therefore TRUE.

Performing an action on behalf is perhaps always a dependent action in the
generic sense, but not in the more specialized sense. Because CFJ 3682 does not
specify which sense of the phrase it uses, I presume it uses the term of art
sense, and judge it FALSE.