I think we’ve had a lot of trouble with determining exactly how objecting and
supporting work, because unlike many parts of the rules, they are based on some
announcement having happened in the past instead of the actual state in the
present. By splitting the act of having objected and the state of being an
objector, we prevent other things from having to deal with that complexity, and
we don’t have to deal with situations like that CFJ we just got where it’s not
clear whether the rule cares about having objected or actually making a valid
objection—you just have to check the opinion switch.

That said, I do think the switch is a bit awkward—is there a good way to keep
the “objecting is an announcement that changes state” structure without a
switch?

Gaelan