Having multiple columns is a cute idea, to be sure, but I think it would make it less viewable to anyone not using a fixed-width email client all the time.

Ah, I guess I just kind of assumed everybody used fixed-width clients. I'll hold off on the multiple columns for now then. It also means less breaking my brain trying to code a thing.
So, immediately I associated this with three historical mechanics: Firstly, the Reportor, which you mentioned; secondly, the AWJ, which I mentioned; and thirdly, the Phone Books, which used to be the Registrar's report back in 1994.

The Phone Books officially consisted of The White Pages, a list of players, active or otherwise and the Blue Pages, a list of Officers. However, the Registrar could add whatever the thought would be useful otherwise.

Under Ørjan's reign as Registrar, e added a section called The Yellow Pages, which consisted of paid advertising space. This brings me to my suggestion, and why I brought this up in the first place: you should sell ad space in the newspaper, as a fun minigame and also a way to make some quick money.

For more information on the Phone Books rule, look at Rule 676 in Ørjan's archive.

The whole Phone Books thing sounds cool, I might look at that. I'll definitely put some sort of ad space in there. That would be fun.

Overall, I'm glad you like the idea. Since I kinda just came up with this, and I don't feel like going back and looking at everything that happened last week, the first issue probably won't be published until next week.