Actually I found the issue, it's Gmail.  Gmail actually discards copies
of your own listserv messages that are delivered back to you "to save
you time" and instead tells you to use the copy in your sent mail instead. There's no option for changing this. (gmail is really a
poorly-featured piece of crap):

https://support.tigertech.net/mailman-gmail

When the list adds BUS or DIS to the subject header, it doesn't look
like the same message coming back, so it's kept and shows up.  But if
it's a reply (e.g. with an Re: BUS), the subject line isn't changed by
mailman, so it matches the Sent version and gets discarded.

So in addition to discarding received messages without your permission
and giving you no way to change that this in the listserv, it does so
inconsistently.

Searching about reveals that this is a common complaint in the
listserv admin community, and that google has shown no interest in
fixing this.