Actually, this really convinces me that this rule makes it impossible (in a
real sense) to play with public announcements (hashes etc).  Because it's
impossible to "communicate with the resolver" in a manner that "cannot be
understood" by the other combatant.  If the communication relies solely on
publicly-available information (hashes etc.), there's no part of the process
where the resolver and combatant can have different information.

(of course, as pointed out, the private communication with the resolver
works fine).