Here’s a thought experiment to sharpen the point.

Imagine that I don’t know any Spanish at all, but I’ve been told that “uno” is
a number in that language (but not which number it is).  I then give the
message, “I spend uno energy.” If twg speaks Spanish and knows that word, then
have I communicated to him a choice of energy expenditure here? I think yes:
the communicative content of the message does not depend on my internal mental
state, but instead upon the signs that I am transmitting in broader social
context, which is one where “uno” definitely means “one” (even if I don’t know
that myself).

Or what if I am told that -e^(i * pi) is a positive integer, but don’t know
which one it is and refuse to google it. Do I communicate a valid choice if I
tell twg that I choose -e^(i * pi)?

If “rau” signifies a number in a legitimate language that twg understands
(twgese), then my election of rau+1 should work in the same way as “uno” and
“e^(i * pi)” do in the above hypotheticals. However, I think that “rau”
actually doesn’t signify a number in any language (because private languages
are impossible), and so twg didn’t actually communicate a number when e sent
eir message and my election of rau+1 also doesn’t work.