On 2/13/2019 8:05 AM, D. Margaux wrote:
>>       Further, the provisions (text) of an agreement CANNOT be amended
>>       without providing all parties to the agreement a reasonable
>>       opportunity to review the potential amendments.
>
> Note that the above clause isn’t as significant a protection as it
> appears.  If A and B agree to a contract that says “A CAN amend this
> contract by announcement,” then A could still make arbitrary changes to
> the contract. E would simply need to give B a  “reasonable opportunity to
> review” those changes, which B has no ability to prevent from taking
> effect.

I agree, and that's by design (from the old R101). In a rule change context,
the idea is that, at the very least, a player could choose to deregister
instead of going along with it, even if they couldn't stop it.  And in a
contract, if you sign away those rights, so be it, as long as the other
party tells you when the change happens.  (worth noting:  the "at
least 4 days and no more than 60 days" in R105 was actually codified from an
old precedent setting minimal standards for "reasonable opportunity to
review" when that phrase was in R101).

Still, there's a weakness worth addressing there!  There should be some
"ability to respond" explicitly guaranteed (again, for a rule change the
"response" could be a CFJ, or simply saying "this proposal is bad", or
deregistration).  But we want to prevent, e.g., a scam from getting around
this by destroying the public forum.  ("I gave you a chance to review the
proposal!  It's not my fault that the fora no longer let you deregister as a
response.")

How about (edits in caps):
>>       Further, the provisions (text) of an agreement CANNOT be amended
>>       without providing all parties to the agreement a reasonable
>>       opportunity to review AND RESPOND TO the potential amendments.

and: