On 6/20/2019 9:56 PM, James Cook wrote:

I can't remember any particular discussion over that phrase either.

I *do* remember that the "limit, allow, enable, or permit" absolutely *was* assumed to include SHALL NOTs as making things regulated. It was a simplification of:
      A regulated action is an action satisfying any of the following:
      a) It is IMPOSSIBLE.
      b) It is ILLEGAL.
      c) The rules explicitly state that it CAN be performed while
         certain conditions are satisfied.
      d) The rules explicitly state that it MAY be performed while
         certain conditions are satisfied.
      e) [recordkeepor clause]

IN CFJ 3403 (shortly after its adoption) Judge omd took it for granted that something ILLEGAL was regulated: