On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 2:14 PM Jason Cobb <jason.e.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How exactly would the Rules specify different methods of victory? I've
> seen that Victory Conditions were a thing in the past, but they don't
> exist any more.

It's ultimately up to the Herald's discretion and some degree of
consensus, but the "winning method" can be strongly suggested using
"by" the way we do for methods in general.  Since it's a "suggestion",
you can do it by putting it in the title ("Win by Apathy", "Win by
Paradox") or we could edit it into a rule:  "If a winner of a
tournament is determined within within 3 months of its initiation,
that person or persons win the game by Tournament".

It's also worth mentioning that these titles group common "types" of
wins over a long period of time.  For example, "Tournaments" used to
be called "Contests".  So for a long time, that category was
"Contest".  When the Tournament rules were adopted (there was a break
in between with no win type in that sort of category in the Rules) the
old Contest category was re-labeled "Tournament" including
retroactively.

-G.