On 8/4/19 6:17 PM, Kerim Aydin wrote:

On 8/4/2019 3:10 PM, Jason Cobb wrote:
On 8/4/19 6:09 PM, ais...@alumni.bham.ac.uk wrote:
On Sun, 2019-08-04 at 14:55 -0700, Kerim Aydin wrote:
[* do we need to define what a "hash method" is or is that in
common-enough use to leave to common definitions?]
Fun though it would be to scam this myself, in the spirit of "catch
loopholes rather than exploit them": the common definition of "hash
method" is not what you're actually looking for here. (In particular,
you probably want to confine to hashes with collision resistance,
otherwise someone could prepare multiple plaintexts in advance and
choose which to show based on events since.)

I hereby define the TenHash hashing method: The hash is, and always will be, 10.

I also just realized that I didn't require the hashing method to be
generally computable by anyone with reasonable effort and the provided
information, under this someone could use a method that requires secret
info.

So: I can give it a try, but if someone more expert than me wants to have a
go at a definition, I'd love that!

-G.

I'd say just enumerate the acceptable algorithms. You could probably just start with SHA256 - it's secure and easy to find calculators for online.

--
Jason Cobb