On 9/1/19 7:40 PM, Jason Cobb wrote:
On 9/1/19 7:35 PM, Aris Merchant wrote:
  We could just say "when X, Y CAN and
SHALL Z". It's certainly much more elegant.

Hmm... would that mean that Y could only Z for the exact instance in which X happens, since CAN doesn't have the special wording that SHALL does.

[Note: all of the below is based on my reading. I am not an Agoran Lawyer, this is not legal advice.]

I would like to clarify this. If X is a condition (say, "a proposal exists"), then I think the CAN is fine (since Y could perform Z whenever the condition is satisfied), but I think the SHALL doesn't get the timely-fashion interpretation (since there's no instant of time involved).

However, if X is an event (say, "a proposal is created"), then I think the SHALL is fine (and gets the timely-fashion interpretation), but I think the CAN is broken, since there's no ongoing time where the CAN is applied, only the instant where that event happens.

For instance, take this excerpt from R2478 ("Vigilante Justice"):

       When a player Points a Finger, the investigator SHALL investigate
       the allegation and CAN, and in a timely fashion SHALL, conclude
       the investigation by

The actual pointing of the Finger happens only in an instant, so the investigator CAN only conclude the investigation in that instant (which means CHoJ might be broken again, /yaaaaay.../).

--
Jason Cobb