On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 5:48 PM James Cook <jc...@cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Our H. Distributor tried in June to enable from-address-rewriting for
> messages with this problem, but I'm not sure it worked. See for
> example my 2019-07-01 message to the discussion list [0].
>
> omd, do you have any insight on what is going on?
>
> [0]
> https://mailman.agoranomic.org/cgi-bin/mailman/private/agora-discussion/2019-July/054651.html

Well, protonmail.com has p=quarantine, and Mailman is set to munge
>From for both p=quarantine and p=reject, so it should be rewriting
From... yet it isn't.  Hmm.

*sigh* I see.  From munging is performed by the SpamDetect pass, and I
had manually disabled that pass because – according to a comment I
left at the time – it caused Python errors related to Unicode
handling.  So it never actually took effect.

I just re-enabled the pass, and also upgraded Mailman to the tip of
the 2.1 branch just in case it fixes the Unicode issue.  If it
doesn't, the list might start dropping messages fitting whatever
pattern was triggering the issue in the past, in which case I'll have
to actually find the bug and fix it.

For now, though... I just sent a test message from a ProtonMail
account, and From rewriting now seems to be working.