Yeah, I remember distinctly hearing the word MOO for the first time sometime
after NW.  We definitely called it a MUD.  Only a few people (exclusively
Monash University I think) were granted wizard/programming privileges - that
was one of the difficulties with using that forum for Nomic, it gave them a
bit too much unacknowledged clout over "reality" (i.e. what was POSSIBLE).