On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 10:36 PM Alexis Hunt via agora-discussion
<agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:
> > another ribbon". Can you suggest any other interpretation that the
> > author of the rule could plausibly have intended?
> >

> The intent of the rules is excluded entirely from the list of
> considerations in Rule 217.

Personally, I'd argue that 'what it seems like the author intended,
based on the text' is largely equivalent as a factor to "common
sense".  (As opposed to 'what the author claims e intended', or 'what
the author actually intended', both of which are definitely excluded.)

In particular, I think that applies even in scam-type situations,
where the author clearly intended one thing yet the text unambiguously
says something else.  In those cases, I think "common sense" would
counsel going by the intent, but it's overruled because "the text of
the rules takes precedence", as well as because literalism is itself a
"game custom".