On Mon, Mar 2, 2020, 06:45 Cuddle Beam via agora-discussion <
agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> > My proposal would just create an ambiguity in the rules, and we never
> judge DISMISS due to an ambiguity in the rules; we pick an interpretation
> instead.
>
> Why is this? (Is it just culture? A CfJ-rule? A rule?)

Well, Rule 217 "Interpreting the Rules" says that "Where the text [of the
rules] is silent, inconsistent, or unclear, it is to be augmented by game
custom, common sense, past judgements, and consideration of the best
interests of the game."

I think that game custom, common sense, past judgements and consideration
of the best interests *all* demand that, if the rules are ambiguous, we
pick one interpretation and go with that one. Judging a case DISMISS
because the rules are ambiguous, and considering the gamestate to be
fundamentally ambiguous as a result, would be unprecedented (I think) and
extremely unconventional.

—Warrigal