On Wednesday, May 20, 2020 5:37:55 PM CDT James Cook via agora-discussion
wrote:
> Trying to get a sense of how the numbers would work out:
>
> As far as I can tell, cards are created as follows:
> * When the game is enacted or someone wins it. (1 Card of each type per
> player) * When a player gets a welcome package. (1 Card of each type)
> * Each officer can create 1 card per month.

Missing the auction for Victory Cards but otherwise correct.

> If half the cards produced are legislative, that would be around 8
> Legislative Cards per month, which if optimally converted becomes 20
> Pendants. Is that enough?

Ideally there'd be an appropriate way to generate Legislative Cards and
Justice Cards that's unique and flavorful for them. I was initially going to
leave that up to other people to propose after this. But maybe we should work
those out now, so we don't need up out of pendants. Suggestions?

> Also, I know there are some objections to limiting proposals
> generally. I guess there aren't many other things to limit right now.
> Maybe we could introduce other subgames that are fuelled by special
> Products to fix that. E.g. I don't remember if G.'s Stones proto
> involved auctioning off the stones, but if it did, we could make the
> currency for the auction be Mana, which is associated with Magic Cards
> or something.

The controversy here has been when the limiting system disrupts the flow of
proposals significantly. Take the boom-bust pattern created by the shiny
system. There'd be weeks where even important proposals couldn't pass, and
weeks where 20 proposals at once got pended and everyone suddenly had a lot
more work than normal. That's a bad system.

As long as there's enough pendants in circulation for them to be easily
accessible, this actually adds a lot of interesting gameplay to making
proposals. Players will be encouraged to obtain pendants as cheaply as
possible and submit good proposals to profit off the reward (and possible
ribbons/glitter) for passed proposals.

Basically, limiting proposals is good if the limit is "what's the most
efficient
way to do this?" and bad if the limit is "can I even afford to do this?"

> Other comments inline below.
>
> > Enact a new Power=1 rule titled "VP Wins" with the following text:
> >       If a player has 20 more Victory Points than any other player, e can
> >       win
> >       by announcement. When a player wins this way, destroy all Cards and
> >       their corresponding Products. Then, for each player create 1 card of
> >       each type in eir possession.
> >
> > [Exactly what it says on the tin.]
>
> Might be worth adding "at least" before "20 more Victory Points".

Noted.

> > Create a new Power=1 rule titled "VP Auctions" with the following text:
> >       Once a week the Treasuror CAN and SHOULD initiate an auction. The
> >       first
> >       lot for this auction is a Victory Card created in Agora's possession
> >       when the auction is initiated. The second lot is all of any single
> >       type
> >       of asset owned by the Lost and Found Department. The Treasuror is
> >       the
> >       Auctioneer for this auction and the minimum bid is 1 coin.
> >
> > [Would love some feedback here. I personally love this idea conceptually
> > but I want it to be manageable for the Treasuror.]
>
> If the Lost and Found Department doesn't own anything, this might make
> the Treasuror's duty impossible.
>
> If there are two lots, it might be better to order it at the
> Treasuror's discretion, in case the second lot is clearly worth more
> than the first.

Noted.

--
nch