On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 11:04 AM Jason Cobb via agora-discussion
<agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> On 6/6/20 3:07 AM, Aris Merchant via agora-discussion wrote:
> > Here are some protos, based on ideas Alexis was kicking around back in
> > March. What do y'all think?
>

> This might be a good chance to try making (at least some) regulations
> into bodies of law.

I think that this would be a good idea, but given the language around
bodies of law, I think we might need to implement greater safeguards.

> > -Aris
> > ---
> > Title: The Administrative State
> > Adoption index: 3.0
> > Author: Aris
> > Co-authors: Alexis
> >

> > Amend Rule 1728, "Dependent Action Methods", by adding as new list item
> > after the third list item:
> >
> >   3. with N official consent, where N is an integer multiple of 0.1
> >      with a minimum of 1 ("With official consent" is shorthand for this
> >      method with N = 1);
> > and renumbering the list accordingly.
> >
> > Amend Rule 2595, "Performing a Dependent Action" by changing the text
> > "without N objections, with N Agoran consent," to read
> > "without N objections, with N Agoran consent, with N official consent,"
> >
> > Amend Rule 2124, "Agoran Satisfaction", by adding as a new item at the end
> > of the list:
> >
> >   4. The action is to be performed with N official consent, and the
> >      number of offices held by Supporters of the intent is less than or
> > equal
> >      to N times the number of offices held by Objectors to the intent.
> >   5. The action is to be performed with N official consent, the Prime
> >      Minister is an Objector, and the Speaker is not a Supporter.
>

> I like this idea, but it does mean that we have to watch out for
> consolidation.
>

> > Enact a new power 2.0 rule entitled "The Administrative State", with the
> > following text:
> >
> >   Each officer CAN, with official consent, enact, amend, or repeal
> >   their own office's Administrative Regulations. Administrative Regulations
> >   have the following properties:
> >
> >   1. An officer SHALL abide by eir office's administrative regulations in
> >      the discharge of eir office.
> >   2. Any player CAN act on behalf of an officer to exercise eir official
> >      powers as authorized by eir office's administrative regulations.
> >   3. All players SHOULD abide by an officer's administrative regulations
> >      in matters relating to eir area of responsibility.
> >

> > ---
> > Title: Simpler Heraldry
> > Adoption index: 1.5
> > Author: Aris
> > Co-authors: Alexis
> >

> > Amend Rule 649, "Patent Titles", by appending to the last paragraph:
> >
> >   Any player CAN award a specified Patent Title to a specified player,
> >   if authorized by the Herald's Administrative Regulations.
>

> I think this either needs a "by announcement" or to specify that the
> regulations determine the methods through which the awarding can be done.

Why not use the following phrasing?:
   Any player CAN award a specified Patent Title to a specified player,
   as authorized by the Herald's Administrative Regulations.

By using the "as", it defers to the regulations to establish a method.