On 6/9/20 2:14 PM, Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion wrote:
>> Is there any reason this isn't just "A player CAN spend 100 barrels to win
>> the game"?
> tbh, because I was a little bored with that stock phrasing, and the
> reaction to it from commenters so far shows that IMO we've got a bit of a
> dependence issue with stock phrases and invokations such that we question
> every variant (even when the governing rule is fairly explicit at allowing
> for variance).  That seems constraining and worth shaking up just a
> little, from time to time.

I don't think the issue is the stock phrase or synonyms, it's the
passive construction. The wording sounds like, to me, that I can do it
by announcement and it will be effective, and then right afterwards I
will lose 100 barrels. But if I don't have 100 barrels, it sounds like
its still effective. The CAN isn't conditional on paying or being able
to pay in the way that this is worded.