On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 5:32 PM Reuben Staley via agora-discussion
<agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> Sorry it's taken so long to get back to this thread. I kind of forgot
> about this for a bit there.
>
> On 2020-06-03 18:59, Publius Scribonius Scholasticus via
> agora-discussion wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 8:48 PM Reuben Staley via agora-discussion
> > <agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> >> I'm sorry, I don't know if I follow this logic here. Which section do
> >> you have qualms about? The "signaling their own messages" or the
> >> "signaling for other's messages" part?
> >
> > Sorry, this is about the "signaling for other's messages" part.
>
> I was unsure about the inclusion of this clause in the original message
> because it will inevitably bring a lot more traffic. I think it's the
> right call though. If we only ask that players signal their own
> messages, then life will only be marginally easier for officers. If we
> help other players by signaling their messages, though, then life gets
> easier even faster.
>
> I think it also provides a very nice opportunity for teaching by
> example. When someone fails to signal, they'll see someone signal for
> them and I think they'll remember that for the next time they do that
> action and that will lead to more people signaling by themselves. Over
> time, additional traffic caused by this mechanic will slow as we all
> become a more considerate.
>
> Then again, that might just be my hopeful side speaking.
>
> TO EVERYONE: If you're reading this, I'd like you to pitch in and tell
> me what you think. The quotes above should give a context about the
> mechanic in question.

> >> The intention was that if the subject line is "Quangor Election",
> >> players don't need to say something redundant like "[Election] Quangor
> >> Election" because that would be redundant; instead they would say
> >> "[Attn: ADoP] Quangor Election". I would find this more intuitive, but I
> >> am open to changing it a bit.
> >
> > Okay, that wasn't clear to me. Maybe change it to: "If the specified
> > action signal is otherwise included in the subject of the message,
> > players should signal the office instead." This makes it clear that
> > it's about inclusion for reasons other than the contract.

> >> Apart from what's already in the Notary section?
> >
> > I meant for internal contract operations, such as messages to be
> > processed by the President of the Dragon or the Exchange Master.
>
> I see. I think that would be classified as the second point in the "All
> Offices" section that says
>
>       * Situations not enumerated above that require special attention
>         from an Officer: signal that Officer
>
> Although I suppose that I could add another point for just
> contract-defined officers that states something specifically if you
> think that'd be valuable.

I do think that would be valuable since that's not included in the
common definition of officers.

> >> Ironically, the Promotor's report was the inspiration to start this,
> >> before Aris mentioned that e could backdate eir reports. I'm open to
> >> suggestions on this point. It could just say "except when back-dating is
> >> permissible" I guess.
> >
> > I was actually saying this with the opposite intent. As I read it now,
> > the Promotor's ability to back-date means that e is never required to
> > update an already-published draft.
>
> So do you think this section is unnecessary? If not, how would you fix
> it? I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you want me to do here.

I didn't really have a specific solution in mind. I'm just not sure
what this does because of its phrasing, but I'm not sure if it's a
problem. If it is, I think the best idea would be to have a vague
clause that gets the idea across without being too specific.

> --
> Trigon

I'm sorry if this feels nitpicky, but I really like the idea and am
interested in it, in case that wasn't clear.
  • DIS: [Proto-Contract]... Reuben Staley via agora-discussion
    • Re: DIS: [Proto-... Publius Scribonius Scholasticus via agora-discussion
      • Re: DIS: [Pr... Reuben Staley via agora-discussion
        • Re: DIS:... Publius Scribonius Scholasticus via agora-discussion
          • Re: ... Reuben Staley via agora-discussion
            • ... Publius Scribonius Scholasticus via agora-discussion
              • ... Reuben Staley via agora-discussion
                • ... Publius Scribonius Scholasticus via agora-discussion
            • ... ATMunn via agora-discussion