On 6/20/2020 3:47 PM, Publius Scribonius Scholasticus wrote:
> I think there are valid criticisms of how we use email, and we could adopt
> guidelines to change that, but if we started to use Discord or anything other
> than IRC or email for significant amounts of discussion, I think I’d leave
> because those platforms lend themselves to less verbose and thoughtful
> discussion and I find them a pain to use. So, keep in mind that attracting
> new players isn’t necessarily worth alienating those of us who are already
> here.

Sure, support different things for different purposes!

- long in-depth discussions and dissections of text (cfjs, proposals).
those should still be the meat of Agora, I 100% agree.  Stay in email.

- historical/ratified documents: email or git.

- mostly fixed minor transactions (transfers, rewards) - a dedicated but
limited email channel with strict Signalling requirements.  Or a web
interface.

- when a discussion is going back and forth quibbling details of a
proposal, "take it to discord" (or whatever platform, I'm neutral) is good.

- When IRC channel was active, it spawned a more informal chatty sort of
interaction that's great for brainstorming.  And it was great for new
players the chattiness made them ask more questions.  There was a lot of
free association of ideas and in the middle of it someone says "good
idea!" and suddenly there's a proto-proposal on email.  I miss that, and
it didn't detract from the in-depth discussions (even when I wasn't on IRC
I benifitted from the brainstorming that came up there).

- MUD/MOO - hmmmm....