On Thu, 25 Jun 2020 at 19:39, Aris Merchant via agora-discussion
<agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 12:36 PM nch via agora-discussion <
> agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:
> > On 6/25/20 2:35 PM, Aris Merchant wrote:
> > >

> > > On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 12:16 PM nch via agora-discussion
> > > <agora-discussion@agoranomic.org
> > > <mailto:agora-discussion@agoranomic.org>> wrote:
> > >
> > >     On 6/25/20 2:11 PM, Jason Cobb via agora-business wrote:
> > >     > Free Tournaments require only 2 Agoran consent to initiate, while
> > >     > Emergency Regulations require 3, so the easiest option is a Free
> > >     > Tournament that automatically grants a certain person the win.
> > >     However,
> > >     > this intent is also vetoable by the Speaker, which would be
> > >     incentivized
> > >     > to do so in order to keep eir post. This means that bribing the
> > >     current
> > >     > Speaker with a free win might be the best option. This would
> > >     also remove
> > >     > the need to control Prime Minister.
> > >
> > >     Making up a fake win is better than a scam win? Also this can't be
> > >     done
> > >     in time. The only way you can delay us long enough would allow us to
> > >     delay this long enough.
> > >

> > > Yes. Part of the fun of scams is that they should be resisted using
> > > any legal game mechanic. If it requires producing an extra win, so be it.
> > >
> > > -Aris
> >
> > How is that different than a scam at that point?
> >

> It's a matter of purpose, not of form. The purpose is to block the scam. We
> don't want someone to win because we want a win, we want someone to win
> because we can't think of a better way of blocking your scam. When someone
> starts a scam, everyone will do everything they can to block it. It's
> like... once you start using scam tactics, it becomes fair play to use them
> back against you.
>
> -Aris

This is an attitude I hadn't been aware of.

My goals in Agora are: win; make sure nobody else wins; and other
stuff like having fun. I never thought of preventing scams as an end
in itself. I am not inclined to support a free win for some other
player just to prevent a different set of wins. Maybe I would support
an "everyone wins" free tournament, because me winning with everyone
else is better than me being left out of a win?

- Falsifian