On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 12:56 PM Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion <
agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> On 7/4/2020 12:40 PM, Publius Scribonius Scholasticus:
> >       Unless
> >       explicitly permitted by the Diplonomic 2020 rules, all Contestants
> >       SHALL NOT make use of loopholes in the underlying game of
> >       Diplomacy in order to gain a competitive advantage.
>
> I'm a little puzzled/concerned about this bit.  We're introducing
> proposals to modify these rules and therefore reading these rules closely,
> and it doesn't seem right to forbid that?  Are there specific types of
> loopholes in Diplomacy (a game with very very stable rules for a long
> time) that you're trying to prevent us from using?

There's at least one well known way to get the standard diplomacy rules to
generate a paradox (Pandin's paradox). That said, I think it generally
speaking makes more sense to have the gamemaster adjudicate the problem
into non-existence than to impose a SHALL NOT on the contestants.

-Aris