On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 11:23 AM Reuben Staley via agora-discussion <
agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> On 3/20/21 8:27 AM, nix via agora-discussion wrote:
> > On Saturday, March 20, 2021 9:26:08 AM CDT nix via agora-discussion
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Here's what the rules have to say about degree requirements:
> >>
> >>        Degrees SHOULD be awarded according to the extent to which the
> >>        thesis contributes to Nomic culture or thought: Associate degrees
> >>        for an appreciable contribution, Baccalaureate degrees for a
> >>        substantial contribution, Magisteriate degrees for a remarkable
> >>        contribution, and Doctorate degrees for an exceptional
> >>        contribution. Any degree at the Doctorate level SHOULD take into
> >>        account the awardee's academic history and participation in Agora
> >>        over time.
> >>
> >>        Theses for Artistry degrees SHOULD demonstrate substantial
> >>        creativity and need not be in written form. Theses for all other
> >>        degrees SHOULD demonstrate substantial research or analysis. J.N.
> >>        and D.N.Law are appropriate for high-quality legal analysis, of
> >>        the sort typical to CFJs, but exceeding an ordinary CFJ in depth.
> >>        The D.N.Hist. degree is appropriate for historical research,
> >>        especially when it presents a narrative that educates Agorans
> >>        about the events of the past. The D.N.Sci. degree is appropriate
> >>        for theses that demonstrate concrete or scientific thinking,
> >>        whereas the D.N.Phil. is appropriate for theses that demonstrate
> >>        abstract or philosophical thinking.
> >>
> >> With that in mind, I'm open to suggestions (from anyone) for what
> degree to
> >> confer. I'll intend any compelling ones and only resolve the highest
> >> resolvable.
> >>
> >> --
> >> nix
> >> Ministor, Herald, Webmastor
> >
> > Oh, and here's the list of degrees:
> >
> >        - Associate of Nomic Artistry        (A.N.A.)
> >        - Associate of Nomic                 (A.N.)
> >        - Juris Doctorate of Nomic           (J.N.)
> >        - Baccalaureate of Nomic Artistry    (B.N.A.)
> >        - Baccalaureate of Nomic             (B.N.)
> >        - Magisteriate of Nomic Artistry     (M.N.A.)
> >        - Magisteriate of Nomic              (M.N.)
> >        - Doctorate of Nomic Artistry        (D.N.Art.)
> >        - Doctorate of Nomic History         (D.N.Hist.)
> >        - Doctorate of Nomic Law             (D.N.Law.)
> >        - Doctorate of Nomic Science         (D.N.Sci.)
> >        - Doctorate of Nomic Philosophy      (D.N.Phil.)
> >

> Let us begin with what is clearly not applicable. This thesis, though it
> includes images, is clearly more research-focused and therefore does not
> merit an Artistry degree. Furthermore, Jason already has a Magisteriate
> of Nomic and it would therefore be unfair to em to give the same degree
> twice.
>
> I think that this thesis represents significant effort, at least enough
> for a Baccalaureate of Nomic. I do not know if it represents enough for
> a Doctorate, but if it is decided that that is the correct level, a
> D.N.Sci. seems most appropriate. These are thus my two suggestions.

Agreed that those are really the two options here. It's a pity e already
has a Magisteriate, as that would probably have been the best fit all
around. As is, I'm slightly more inclined to round up than round down, but
I'm still thinking it through.

-Aris