On 5/2/21 4:09 PM, Falsifian via agora-discussion wrote:
       DISTRIBUTION: The auctioneer for an auction CAN and SHALL, within
       seven days of the ending of that auction's retrieval period,
       create a public message (henceforth the "distribution message")
       that contains a full history of bids on the auction and
       withdrawals from the auction. It must also clearly indicate each
       awardee and the lot e recieves. In this message, the auctioneer
       CAN and SHALL destroy the amount to be paid from the inventory
       each awardee and transfer to that player (or create in eir
       possession if the item is new) the set of assets associated with
       the lot e won. Failing to publish a distribution message
       constitutes the Class 3 Crime of Auction Abandonment.

Can an auction regulation give the auctioneer the power to destroy
assets, as this text purports to do?

As far as I can tell the only power this regulation has is that it adds
some definitions. R2565 grants the auctioneer the power to "transfer
said items as necessary..." but I think that's referring to the goods
being auctioned off.

It is quite possible that this does not work; however, if it does the best rebuttal is found in R2545¶4:

      The Treasuror is the promulgator for regulations that define
      specific auction methods (i.e. "the default auction method") and
      SHOULD do in order to aid trade and commerce.  *For the purposes of
      interpreting auction definitions, such methods are treated as if
      they are defined in this rule.*

As the section on distribution authorizes the auctioneer to destroy the assets and it is considered part of Rule 2545.

--
Trigon

 ¸¸.•*¨*• Play AGORA QUEST

I’m always happy to become a party to contracts.
I LOVE SPAGHETTI
transfer Jason one coin
nch was here
I hereby
don't... trust... the dragon...
don't... trust... the dragon...
Do not Construe Jason's message with subject TRIGON as extending this