On Thu, 2022-03-17 at 23:41 -0500, secretsnail9 via agora-business
wrote:
> I table each of the above intents again.
[snip]
> This may work because each intent is ripe (tabled within the past 14
> days) and mature (tabled at least 4 days ago).
[snip]
> Precedent on this? This seems way too broken to work, and like I'm
> probably missing something.

The rule in question changed recently to use different wording from the
wording it used to use for years, so it's possible that something broke
in the change (and there's no direct precedent as a consequence.

However, at least under the old version of the rule, it was pretty
clear that (the equivalent of) tabling an intent was a method of
creating the intent, so attempting to "re-table" an intent doesn't work
– you're just creating a second intent (which therefore isn't mature).
If you read the tabling action as allowing persons to table intents
that already exist, then tabling doesn't work at all, because there'd
then be no way to create the intent in the first place. So the scam
only works if you consider rule 1728 to be capable of either creating a
new intent, or re-tabling an existing one, which seems like too much of
a stretch in the wording as it doesn't give any indication that it
makes two different actions possible.

Alternatively, I can see a plausible argument that intents are not
created by the rules, but rather as part of a person's mental state,
and tabling them is the action that causes Agora to take recognition of
them. This is broken in a different interesting way (you have to
actually mentally intend to take an action before you can table that
intent, otherwise no intent exists to be tabled – and if the person who
had the intent no longer intends to perform the action, the intent
itself no longer exists, so there's nothing to be tabled any more). In
any case, this "intents are a natural construct, not an Agoran-legal
construct" reading probably prevents this version of the scam working
because nix didn't intend for secretsnail to perform the action or for
it to be performed a second time, and thus the intent in question
doesn't exist to be re-tabled.

This is definitely worth a CFJ, at least! This hasn't been litigated
since the new version of the rule was written, and there are multiple
plausible readings of it, which lead to different results, and
potentially to some interesting breakage. It might be hard to word the
CFJ statement to distinguish between the various possibilities, though.

--
ais523