ais523 wrote:
> A side note: I can't think if a time at which Agora ever had a culture
> of punishing minor/inconsequential offences. There have been times at
> which players felt that it might be a good thing to increase the rate
> at which crimes were punished, but even after voting in Rules
> encouragement, lots of minor offences typically slipped by anyway.

The Blot Wars and Rebellions of the late 1990s to about 2002.

Context:  In that system, there was nobody who had subjective sentencing
authority.  A 2-blot infraction was a 2-blot infraction, applied instantly
upon the finger-point with no adjustments (other than CFJs on whether the
facts were correct).

So most players accumulated a few blots and shrugged.  The counterbalance
was the Rebellion mechanism - if enough people rebelled (which was a crime
in and of itself) a rebellion could succeed which expunged the blots of
all rebels.  It was a lot of fun, and most importantly there wasn't a lot
of hand-wringing for each blot, especially the most inconsequential ones.

nix wrote:
> If the issue is what is and isn't a punishable offense then secretsnail
> followed the letter of the law. I don't think e intentionally violated
> Agoran custom. If someone breaks social custom e's not familiar with, e
> should be told about it, not chastised. And if the letter of the law
> allows apparently egregious breakages of customs, then change the law.

Exactly.

I've been thinking about this a lot, and I'm not sure the current "system"
(or "social understanding") is equitable at all.  I find myself not taking
each individual finger-point independently, and thinking "oh Aspen is a
good officer but this other player has been slacking off lately" for the
same crime.  I try not to, but it's a small community and hard not to, and
to me this is fairly close to arbitrary and/or favoritism and it makes me,
as referee, uncomfortable.  I'd rather it was much more mechanical with
*any* leniency (forgiveness, 0-blot indictments) saved for the more
extreme miscarriages.  And if those mechanical decisions are wrong,
there's the legislative solution.

I'll likely not resolve these right away to give a little more room for
thought.

-G.