On 7/7/22 19:04, ais523 via agora-discussion wrote:
> On Thu, 2022-07-07 at 18:56 -0400, Jason Cobb via agora-discussion
> wrote:
>> On 7/5/22 13:59, secretsnail9 via agora-business wrote:
>>> Repeal Rule 2618 (Promises).
>>>
>>> Repeal Rule 1742 (Contracts).
>>>
>>> Repeal Rule 2450 (Pledges).
>>>
>> They all serve different purposes and are useful under different
>> circumstances. Repealing contracts alone could be part of a
>> reasonable attempt to restructure the game away from economic
>> contracts, but that doesn't seem to be what's happening here.
> We could probably do without pledges – those have hardly been used
> recently (and under past rulesets, were a special case of a contract).
> They could also be implemented *by* contract rather than in the ruleset
> (i.e. we just have a contract that lets its members pledge to things).
>
> Now that contracts permit act-on-behalf, it would probably be possible
> to implement promises by contract too, but they've been so useful for
> agreeing one-time trades that it may make sense to keep them around
> separately.
>
> (As a side note, another possible direction is attempting to implement
> as much of Agora by contract as possible – possibly even to the extent
> of, e.g., a charity that publishes the rules rather than a separate
> Rulekeepor post. I think this has been discussed in the past, but never
> implemented. It would have the potential to make the ruleset a lot
> shorter, which might be helpful for newer players, but we'd still
> probably need a lot of text to protect the proposal system and for
> disaster recovery.)

I think pledges should stay in the rules for roughly the same reason
that I think No Faking should stay in the rules.

I'd be against any form of eliminating offices for private recordkeeping
(I'm sure this is not surprising giving the number of offices I hold,
and I don't think shortening the ruleset at the cost of moving it lots
of text into contracts is a beneficial goal.

--
Jason Cobb

Arbitor, Assessor, Rulekeepor, S​tonemason