On Sun, Feb 19, 2023 at 9:58 AM secretsnail9 via agora-discussion
<agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 19, 2023 at 9:16 AM Kerim Aydin via agora-business <
> agora-busin...@agoranomic.org> wrote:
>
> > Gratuitous:
> > CFJ 3778 found that list items could have whole line breaks inserted
> > between them and removed because they were not significant.  This is
> > not true with paragraphs.  If the section of text with ' - Gardens" is
> > taken to begin a paragraph, and is followed by additional list items
> > where the whitespace could be removed, the replaced paragraph would
> > include all of those line items.  Or at least it is unclear where the
> > paragraph ends.
> >

> Looking at this CFJ (3778), it seems to say the opposite about line breaks
> within a paragraph:
>
> CFJ 3452 ruled that paragraph boundaries should be determined based mainly
> on grammatical structure rather than layout.  Following its reasoning, "A"
> above would all be considered a single paragraph, since it's a single
> grammatical sentence; therefore, there are no "paragraph breaks" to
> contend with and the changes *[inserting whole line breaks within a
> paragraph]* are definitely insignificant.
>

> Grammatically, each list item looks to be its own paragraph. The list
> items following the "- Gardens" list item are not able to have all of
> their whitespace removed, as this would contradict CFJ 3778: "[there
> is] a prohibition on
> merging or splitting paragraphs".
>
> If there was any ambiguity of whether the list items are all part of
> one paragraph, or each their own paragraph, the proposal resolves that
> ambiguity by referring to one of the list items as a paragraph.

Interestingly, this argument had the opposite effect on me.  Before
you said it, I thought "we've all agreed these are list items not
paragraphs, the question is whether a proposal mistakenly referring to
an otherwise clearly-specified unit as a "paragraph" breaks things.
Now I'm thinking it's ambiguous whether they are paragraphs or list
items to begin with (that is, more ambiguity not less) and I don't
think a proposal has the ability to clarify that just by assertion.

-G.