On Thu, May 25, 2023 at 11:33 AM juan via agora-discussion wrote:

> Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion [2023-05-25 07:11]:
> > The currently guiding precedent is in CFJ 1361: "a nickname is a name
> > that a Player chooses for emself, that can be reliably used to pick em
> > out in the full range of Agoran contexts."  The key here is "full
> > range of Agoran contexts".  If there is ambiguity, the "true" nickname
> > is what disambiguates, so it needs to be unique (annotating it does
> > not make it unique, unless the annotation is always included).
> >
> > Now you might say "for ephemeral reports, I'm using the nickname of
> > the nickname" which people have done plenty (for example shortening
> > Publius Scribonius Scholasticus to PSS because the full name doesn't
> > fit in columns).  However when that happens, it is incumbent on the
> > *ephemeral* report's publisher to include the footnote "PSS refers to
> > Publius Scribonius Scholasticus".  Anything else is basically
> > inaccurate, in a Platonic sense - and Agora cares about the platonic
> > sense, not "yeah we know from context in the moment".  And it matters
> > for self-ratification, because it's the *ephemeral* reports that
> > self-ratify generally, so they are the ones that need to indicate what
> > is self-ratifying clearly, in a way that distinguishes each player in
> > their FULL range of Agoran contexts.
> >
> > I am not *at all* convinced that someone won't accidentally ratify
> > something from now-blob as belonging to Blob or vice versa.
>
> The fact that there is such a CFJ changes things, indeed. But just
> because it defines what a nickname is. As for the platonism: I'm not
> really convinced that report is platonically wrong! Honestly, I'm not
> even sure what that term means. But anyway, the fact is that names are,
> in general, not unique. Reference, as a semantical-philosophical concept,
> depends on context. What defines what is the authority when it comes to
> resolving the name “blob”?
>
> I'm really asking.

Apologies:  I brought up this CFJ and others when this first came up
but that feels like a long time ago now!
https://www.mail-archive.com/agora-discussion@agoranomic.org/msg55701.html

And I really have no idea on the answer.  Anecdotally, I can think of
a handful (maybe 3-4) times that a new player initially picked a
previously-used nickname, and all of those cases were resolved in a
day or so by suggesting the new person alter their name, which they
did without any controversy I believe.  So the issue never lasted long
enough to hit self-ratification or other weekly deadlines.  Someone
may have CoEd a report out of caution (which is what I was intending
my CoE to be - an excess of caution really and to give a legal impetus
to resolve it one way or the other) but in the past, the duplicate
name was resolved quickly enough to be included in the CoE revision
without any problem.

I have been around long enough to see some really odd things get
ratified, and some other odd things get rejected from ratification, so
I tend to be proactive at that sort of CoE.  Maybe there's a good
chance nothing "odd" would occur but really no idea what a judge would
say.

-G.